As long as the lighthouses were
using a constant light source, one could only distinguish one lighthouse
from the next by varying the number of lights, thus from 1725 to 1844 there
were two lights at the Naze and while at Lista there were three towers.
In the second half of the nineteenth Century lighthouse technology was
developed, enabling the larger glass lenses to be rotated and thus emit
flashes of light at different intervals. Thus each separate lighthouse
gained its own distinctive signal and navigators could know which light they
With the first steamships in the
mid 1800s came an increasing demand for safe navigation - also in poor
The penetrating sound of foghorns, bells and sirens was to be heard all
along the coast. In 1920 a fog siren was installed at Lindesnes, replaced in
1954 by a powerful diaphone. However, foghorns are inaccurate as navigation
aids, and today modern navigation techniques have taken over. The fog Signal
at Lindesnes became silent in 1988.